Embracing your natural hair is all about loving those curls and waves you’ve got and taking the care necessary to keep them in the best possible health. Following these 10 Commandments for curly haired girls will help you to do just that…
1. Thou Shall Always Hydrate. Keeping hair moisturized has to be a top priority for any Naturalista. Sealing the ends of your hair regularly and using leave-ins will help make curls more manageable and help you avoid fly-aways.
2. Thou Shall Not Go to Bed With Thy Hair Unprotected. Before heading to bed for the night, make sure you cover your hair with a silk scarf or sleep on a satin pillowcase. Cotton fibers can absorb the moisture from your natural tresses, putting you at risk for frizz and breakage.
3. Thou Shall Not Abuse Thermal Styling Tools. Heat from blow dryers, curling irons and flat irons can quickly dehydrate curls. When you can’t skip blow drying, make sure to apply a thermal protectant to limit heat damage and invest in an infuser so you don’t disrupt the natural curl patterns when you’re blowing your hair out.
4. Thou Shall Not Let Tangles Linger. Make sure that you reach for your detangling comb while your hair is still wet. A detangling leave-in conditioner can help make it easier to separate the strands without you having to pull and tug. Snap…Crackle…Pop is the last thing we want to hear.
5. Thou Shall Not Skip the Deep Conditioner. Deep conditioning is an absolute must — see Commandment Number 1! Make sure that you treat your tresses to a deep conditioning treatment at least every other week or more frequently when signs of dryness arise or during the winter months.
6. Thou Shall Not Substitute Hair Vitamins for Healthy Foods. There is no miracle pill, capsule or liquid that’s going to make your hair grow more effectively than getting real nutrients from your food. Eating a diet rich in lean protein, plenty of fruits and fresh vegetables is the best way to promote healthy hair growth from within.
7. Thou Shall Not Follow Other Naturalistas Blindly. What works for one curly-haired diva may not work for you. Create your own regimen rather than adhering to the regimen prescribed by any one blogger or YouTube hair guru.
8. Thou Shall Select Thy Hair Accessories With Care & Flair. Using hair jewelry and natural hair accessories lets you to change up the look of your natural locs, but you want to make sure that whatever you’re using is safe. That means choosing options like open ponytail holders that don’t stress or strain the strands.
9. Thou Shall Not Fall Victim to Product Junkie-ism. Don’t be that woman who runs out and buys every product that she hears about and has a graveyard full of hair product hidden under the bathroom sink. When you find styling products that work, stick with them. Try new products sparingly and give it enough time to see if they really work for you.
10. Thou Shall Not Covet Another Girl’s Curls. All natural textures have their own unique characteristics and beauty, despite what mainstream media has you believe. Be happy with your own curls, kinks and waves. While it’s fine to keep striving to improve the health of your hair, don’t let yourself long to trade locks with any other woman.
What’s your favorite Curly Girl Commandment? Which one do you (in secret) need to work on? Leave us a note in the comments below…